Hi everyone! Hope you guys are staying cool this summer. It’s been extremely hot and humid in the south for the past few weeks. It was over 100 degrees for the past 2 weekends! My acne-prone skin tends to break out more in this type of environment. Not only that, my hair becomes quite frizzy with all the humidity in the air. I’m going to share some of my tips on how to keep our skin and hair under control. (All the products that I mentioned are linked to an online source where you can purchase them.)
For the skin:
- Skip the foundation and go with a BB cream (more coverage) or tinted moisturizer (less coverage). The last thing we want is heavy makeup in this hot weather. Many BB creams and tinted moisturizers also contain sunscreen. This can cut down the number of products you apply to your skin without sacrificing sun protection. I like to use the Skin79 Super+ BB Cream (pink label).
- Use a toner every night. Summer is the only season that I use a toner regularly. It takes off whatever makeup your makeup remover and/or cleanser failed to remove and tightens your pores. I prefer using a toner that contains acne medication. I like the Biore Triple Action Astringent (recently repackaged as Biore Blemish Treating Astringent).
- After the toner, apply a thin moisturizer. Just because it’s summer and your face is more oily than usual doesn’t mean you should skip out on hydrating your skin! My favorite daytime moisturizer of all time is the Olay Complete Lotion. At night time, I like the St. Ives Collagen Elastin Facial Moisturizer. Both products very light-weight and perfect for summer.
- Use a mud/clay mask once or twice a week! I love the c. Booth Deep Cleansing Volcanic Mud Mask.
- Change your pillow case and face towel every week. This tip is applies to all seasons.
- Get your hair out of your face. The oil and dirt in your hair can easily cause breakouts on your forehead. Even if you don’t like pony tails, you can still get your hair out of the way by braiding or clipping them.
For the hair:
- At night, towel dry your hair and apply a hair oil/serum to the ends. My favorite is the Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum. It’s a super hydrating serum that’s perfect for wavy or curly hair. I have noticed that my hair is less frizzy in the morning if I use this product at night.
- In the morning, use a leave-in conditioner to tame the frizz. I really like the John Frieda Secret Weapon Flawless Finishing Creme and Garnier Leave-In Conditioning Cream.
- Every time I get out of the pool, my hair becomes extremely tangled. Pool water tends to dry out my hair so I like to use a hydrating deep conditioner to replenish the moisture. The Aussie 3 Minute Deep Conditioner is a wonderful option.
Photo credits: Polyvore
Do you have any special beauty tips for the summer? Share them in the comment area!