Posts tagged 'skin care'
Asian Skin Care Routine: Treatments & Teas
Welcome to the last part (part 4) of my skin care routine series! Today, I’ll talk about products that I use for: exfoliation, pore care, and hydration. I’ll also tell you about a few teas that have given me skin care benefits.
I use the following products whenever my skin needs it.
Philosophy The Microdelivery Daily Exfoliating Wash. (2 oz for $8) The cleanser has really fine exfoliating beads and it’s very gentle on sensitive skin! Some exfoliating cleansers make my skin appear red after usage but this one does not have that side effect.
Philosophy The Microdelivery Mini Peel Pads. (60 pads for $38) This is a great product for traveling because it’s super easy to use. The mini peel pads are in the size of a cotton round and they are soaked in solution. After toner, simply wipe the peel pad across the face in outwardly motion. It does a great job of cleansing my pores and take off makeup residual. It’s gentle and does not sting my skin like other peel pads tend to do.
Biore Self Heating One Minute Mask. (4 packs for $6.99) I use it around once a week to detox my skin. I love how this charcoal mask warms up as you massage it onto the skin and it also contains exfoliating beads. Each pack lasts 2 uses.
Biore Pore Strips. (8 strips for $6.99) I usually use it once every 2 weeks after the Self Heating Mask.
Laneige Water Sleeping Mask. (80 ml for $23) I use it once a week for hydration and smoother skin. It’s more like a heavy night moisturizer than a mask. It absorbs very well into the skin. It’s perfect for skin that gets dried out easily by air conditioning. I also take it with me when I travel by air because cabin air can be extremely drying.
Drinking the following teas have helped to detox my body and improve my overall complexion. They are very easy to make and it’s best to drink them in the morning.
1. Ginger & Honey: Chop up the ginger into thin slices and add them into boiling water. Then add some honey so that the tea isn’t too spicy.
2. Chrysanthemum & Goji Berries: Simply boil some water and add these 2 ingredients in 1:1 ratio. This tea tastes the best when it’s cold and it is my favorite tea for the summer time.
3. Warm Honey Water: When I’m too lazy to make tea, I simply microwave a cup of water for 1 minute and add some honey it in. While growing up, I’ve been told that this is a great anti-inflammatory drink.
Nude Skincare Advanced Renewal Serum
I got this deluxe size serum as a Sephora 100 points reward. I like to use a serum between toner and moisturizer because some of them really work wonders in terms of improving my skin texture.
PACKAGING: This product has a really nice packaging and it looks quite luxurious. It’s like a dropper bottle but it has a clickable pipette, which makes dispensing super easy. But it’s difficult to get the last bit of product because the pipette can’t pick it up.
PRODUCT: Sorry I forgot to take a photo of the serum itself before I finished using it. It has a white color and it blends into the skin very easily. This product has a light fragrance but it does not last very long. After the product is absorbed, it leaves a slightly sticky feeling on the skin. But it doesn’t bother me too much since I always apply a moisturizer on top of it. This serum is not moisturizing enough on its own and I don’t expect it to be anyway.
In terms of its anti-aging effects, my skin’s texture has improved while using this product. But I don’t think I can attribute to this product alone. Considering the price for the full product (1 oz for $78 at Sephora), I don’t think I will be purchasing the full size. I prefer using a hydrating serum and this is one of the least hydrating serums that I’ve used. I still get dry patches around areas that I apply acne treatment. While this product didn’t cause any irritation and breakouts, the result is not worth the price tag.
Vanicream Lite Lotion | Free & Clear Liquid Cleanser
About a month ago, I was looking for a gentle night time lotion and a morning time cleanser for the summer. Since the Vanicream Moisturizing Skin Cream saved my skin this past winter, I decided to pick up the Lite Lotion and the Liquid Cleanser by the same company, Pharmaceutical Specialities, Inc. This company specializes in making products for sensitive skin without common skin irritants such as sulfate, parabens, fragrance, etc.
Vanicream Lite Lotion: very good product and highly recommended for those looking for a simple, gentle moisturizer
- Light-weight, great for spring and summer
- Suitable for combination and oily skin
- 8 oz version comes in a thin bottle and 16 oz version comes in a pump bottle; both packagings are hygenic
- Very affordable: 8 oz for $7 and 16 oz for $10
- Does not contain SPF so you’d need to use a separate sunscreen or use it at night
Free & Clear Liquid Cleanser: too drying and smells strange
- Great pump bottle for easy dispensing
- Product is in a clear, gel-like form
- When used on my face, it has a strange soap-like smell (even though it’s a soap-free formula) and this smell is a bit unpleasant in my opinion
- Too drying for my face but it’s good as a body cleanser or hand soap as long as you apply moisturizer afterwards
- There is a new Vanicream Gentle Facial Cleanser. It wasn’t available on Amazon when I put down my order, but you can purchase it on drugstore.com.