Posts tagged 'beauty blog'
Get the Most Out of Your Beauty Sleep
This is one of my favorite episodes from the Korean beauty show “Get It Beauty”. In part one, the hosts and guests will show you different skincare treatments that can be worn overnight. In part two, a makeup artist will demonstrate a lovely yet simple makeup routine that will make you look more awake. Products used in this episode are listed in the description sections below the videos.
About a month ago, my mom bought a jar of Assi Honey Ginger Tea and told me that my aunt raved about the health and beauty benefits of ginger tea. I’m a big fan of tea in general but I’m not always consistent about drinking tea everyday. I really like the flavor of this tea and there has been some noticeable difference. This tea comes in a jar and it looks like a jam. Basically, you add a tablespoon of the tea to hot water and mix it well. It tastes the best when it’s warm. My mom and I finished this big jar in about 2 weeks. Now we’ve switched to making this tea on our own using fresh ginger and honey.
Here’s a little bit of background info on the benefits of ginger tea:
- Lower the chances of indigestion
- Soothes pain, menstrual cramps, headache, and inflammation
- Prevents nausea, cold, and flu
- Clears the skin using its Vitamin C and antibacterial properties
- Contains antioxidants to prevent aging
You can read more about it here.
Obviously, some of these benefits are long-term effects and don’t show immediately results. But I have noticed a difference in reducing menstrual cramps and preventing nausea. Last week, I was sick with a nasty virus and it left me stuck in bed for a couple of days. I experienced nausea, dizziness, and excessive sweating. But drinking this tea has helped me to recover quite quickly.
To make this tea at home, simply boil a pot of water and add some chopped ginger and a bit of honey so that the tea doesn’t taste too spicy. I usually make some concentrated tea and put it in a large jar. You can store it in the fridge for a few days. When I want to drink it, I would dilute the concentrated tea and heat it up in the microwave. It is best to consume ginger tea in the morning since the spice can really wake you up and the tea helps with digestion throughout the rest of the day.
I hope you’ll give this a try!
Similar to what I did on the brand-specific Clinique post, I’ll be talking about my experience with Maybelline products. Maybelline is my favorite drugstore makeup brand and it has really improved a lot over the years. These are just my personal opinions and the results can vary greatly among individuals with different skin type and eye shape.
Products that I enjoyed using:
- Shine-Free Loose Powder: This is my holy grail face powder! Please don’t ever discontinue this, Maybelline! The shade “Medium” is the perfect match for my skin tone. It goes on very natural and does cling onto dry patches like pressed powder tends to do. Best of all, it provides a little bit of coverage so it’s great for touch-ups.
- Instant Age Rewind Dark Circles Eraser: This concealer is very creamy and it can be used for both dark circles and redness. It’s so easy to blend and sets nicely on top of foundation. It’s a little too thin for concealing pimples but it does give some extra coverage.
- Volum’Express The Rocket Waterproof Mascara: This is my favorite drugstore mascara at the moment. It’s similar to CoverGirl LashBlast but the wand is smaller. The formula is clump-free and dries very fast. It holds the curl and doesn’t smudge for at least 6 hours on my oily eyelids.
- Eye Studio Color Tattoos: I like to use these as a standalone eyeshadow when I don’t want to spend too much time doing eye makeup. These cream shadows can be used with or without a primer. With a primer, it lasts all day with little to no creasing. Without a primer, it creases after 5-6 hours. My favorite shade is Inked in Pink.
Products that worked but are not my favorites:
- Shine-Free Pressed Powder: This is a good powder but it’s not as good as the loose powder version. It tends to cling onto dry spots and make my skin look cakey sometimes.
- Volum’Express The Falsies Waterproof Mascara: This is a good mascara but the name is quite misleading because I feel like the finish is quite natural looking. The formula is pretty wet so I always have to “blot” my lashes right after application. The wetness also makes it clump somewhat easily. Personally, I’m not a fan of the spoon wand.
- Mineral Power Powder Foundation: I used to really like this foundation before I started using BB cream and liquid foundation. It’s great for acne-prone skin since it doesn’t clog pores. The coverage is pretty good too. But I experienced a lot of fall out from mineral foundations and they all landed on my shirt collars, which is pretty annoying.
Products that didn’t work well:
- Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner: I’ve pretty much given on gel liners because my hooded and oily eyelids make nearly every eyeliner smudge. It’s fine for running errands or short-term wear but it starts to smudge around the 5th hour. It’s just not one of those eyeliners that I can put on in the morning and not worry about it for the rest of the day. I really wish I could like this gel liner more.
- Dream Matte Powder [discontinued]: This powder is a little too matte for combination skin. It has a tendency to make my skin look flat. Also, I personally prefer powders that gives a bit of coverage.
I’d just like to mention that my least-favorite products are not bad quality products. They just don’t work very well for my eye shape and skin type. I haven’t really encountered any terrible products from Maybelline (yet). My favorite place to purchase Maybelline products is Ulta because they often have buy 1 get 1 50% off sale, 20% off entire purchase sale, etc.