Overtime, makeup brushes can pick up all sorts of debris and bacteria. If you don’t clean them, they can easily cause breakouts and skin irritation. But with regular cleaning, your skin will be clearer and your brush can be kept in great shape for a long time. Today I will be showing you two ways to clean your brushes with common household products. Spot cleaning can be done quickly each time after you apply your makeup. Deep cleaning requires a little bit more time so I tend to do that on weekend mornings.
Spot cleaning (whenever needed):
- Purchase antibacterial hand wipes
- Swirl the brush against the hand wipe
- Reshape the brush hair and set aside to dry
Deep cleaning (weekly):
- Put brushes in a 45 degree angle (hair facing down) under warm running water. It’s really important that the hair is facing down because you don’t want water to loosen the glue that holds it together. Don’t submerge the entire brush in the water.
- Squeeze some baby shampoo (or you can use a mixture of olive oil and hand soap) on your palm. The amount that you use depends on how many brushes you plan to clean. Of course, you can always add more if needed.
- Keep the brush pointing and down and swirl it in the palm with the shampoo/mixture.
- Rinse and swirl the brush against your fingers (where there is no shampoo/mixture).
- Swirl the brush in the shampoo/mixture again.
- Rinse again (with swirling) and make sure the water is clear.
- Gently squeeze the water out of the brush hair.
- Reshape the brush hair and set aside to dry on a towel (with the brush pointing down at a 20 degree angle so water can be drained easily). Make sure to turn your brushes over and set on a dry spot after a few hours.
- If you are unable to get the makeup off your brush even after deep cleaning, use some oil-based makeup remover, let it soak for a couple of minutes, and rinse the brush.
- If you use shampoo to clean your brushes, I’d suggest conditioning them afterward. But you can skip this step if you use olive oil because the oil serves as a conditioner.
- beautyplaylist posted this